This is one for seasoned greenies. If you are new to green smoothies start here. If you know what you’re doing and have a love of kale then continue…
It doesn’t look pretty but this smoothie will give you a cacao fix at the same time as packing in a stack of greens. It is essential that your banana is frozen for this one. You might even want to toss in a couple of ice cubes too. Drink it cold. If it warms up too much it can become unpleasant so just slam it down. That’s what I do!
This is quite a thick drink, add more water if you want it to be more of a smoothie consistency.
- 50g Kale (2-3 large leaves)
- 40g Coconut Meat
- 15g Cacao Powder
- 20g Pepitas
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 200g Water (for a thinner consistency add more water)
- 1 tbs / 10g Honey (or preferred sweetener)
– Add all ingredients to the thermomix in the order listed above and blend on speed 8 (or higher) for 1 minute.
If you’re new to green smoothies or the idea of drinking spinach is gross to you, then this is the smoothie to get you started. It’s also a good one to give to kids (or unsuspecting husbands) to get them to have more raw greens in their diet. I am not into massively sweet food so I like this smoothie without any added sweetener. I suggest making it up first and having a taste, then add a sweetener if so desired.
Also, this is not just for beginners, it’s for anyone really. I LOVE this smoothie and often use it as a fall back because I always have the 3 main ingredients in the house.
- 1-2 Spinach or Chard leaves (or a handful of baby spinach)
- 1-2 Frozen Bananas
- 70g Frozen Blueberries
- 200g Water
- Honey or sweetener of your choice (optional)
– Add all ingredients to TM bowl (or blender) and combine on speed 8 or higher for 1 minute.
I have one of these almost everyday – if not for breakfast then definitely for an afternoon snack. It is my absolute favourite. I use young coconut flesh and water for the “milk” component that chocolate often calls for. I buy a couple of coconuts per week, drink the water and scoop out the flesh which keeps in the fridge for a few days. I can get 3-4 smoothies out of 1 coconut! If coconuts are too much effort for you (sometimes they’re too much for me too), then just use a handful of soaked cashews or almonds in its place. If you like to add super foods to your smoothies then this is the perfect smoothie to sneak them in. I normally also include a teaspoon of maca and of ground chia seeds. Get creative and experiment with this one.
- 1-2 Bananas (I use frozen but fresh is fine too)
- 40g Young Coconut Flesh (or more!)
- 200g Water
- 10-15g Cacao Powder
- Any superfood powders you like
- 5g (1 tsp) Honey (or preferred sweetener)
– Add ingredients in the order listed above to the thermomix and combine on speed 8 (or higher) for 30-60 seconds.
(Be sure to add the honey last or to drizzle over the top of the banana otherwise some of it can sink to the bottom)
Serve with something crunchy like cacao nibs!
Find the ingredients to make this recipe: