This gravy (like most gravy) doesn’t look all that appetizing but believe me you will be going back for more because it’s seriously good! This recipe is for a larger quantity but can easily be scaled back if you don’t need this much. It doesn’t matter how much we make, we never have any leftovers, it’s damn delicious! Pictured here atop “smashed”, roast veggies.
- 2-4 Mushrooms (up to 100g)
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Spring of Fresh Rosemary (or 2 tsp Dried Rosemary)
- 200-300g Soy Milk
- 50g Water (Optional if you want to bulk up the amount of gravy you make)
- 20g Stock
- 30g Spelt or Wheat Flour
– Roughly chop mushrooms and add then to the thermomix along with the onion, garlic and rosemary.
– Turbo until blitzed and then add a splash of oil and cook on 100 degrees for 4 mins.
– Add remaining ingredients and and combine on speed 5 for 10 seconds.
– Cook on speed 2, 90 degrees for 5 mins.
This sauce is a great vegan alternative to béchamel and can be used for creamy pasta, lasagna, veggie bakes, as a flavorsome topping for steamed veggies or whatever you can think of. It uses soy milk which many people prefer to avoid but I find that it’s really the only dairy free milk that can make this sauce thicken well. Read more about my thoughts on soy here. You may have noticed that I don’t like to do things in small quantities. We prefer to cook up a large amount so that we have leftovers for lunches, so if you find that this is too much for your needs you can halve or scale down the recipe.
I like to season this sauce depending on what I’m using it for, when making pasta I’ll add a few spoonfuls of tomato paste, and when using as a topping for veggies I like to add a splash of tamari. Salt & pepper are a must too but you can always have a taste first and then choose whether you want to add anything.
We use out home made veggie stock but if you don’t have any of this then simply use a stock cube. If you need to avoid yeast like me then I highly recommend making your own stock!
- 750g Soy Milk
- 100g Water (optional)
- 50g Stock (or to taste)
- 80g Olive Oil
- 110g Spelt Flour
- Seasonings of your choice (salt, pepper, tomato paste, tamari, chili)
– Add all ingredients except the flour to the thermomix and cook on 90 degrees, speed 4 until temperature is reached (around 7 mins).
– Add the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes at 90 degrees.
(The sauce will begin to set slightly once it cools and stops moving so it’s best to make the sauce once everything else is nearly ready to serve. If you’re still waiting on other dishes then set the temp to 80 degrees and keep it going on speed 3 until serving.
Find the ingredients to make this recipe: